Sunday, December 18, 2011

Phone Charger Holder


I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to make it for teachers gifts.

However, there is no tutorial. Even if there was, I believe it's in German, so that takes care of that. This is my attempt to make my own. I do not know why my pictures come through so fuzzy on Blogger. They look clear on my phone...sigh.

What you need:
two contrasting fabrics (I bought an 1/8 of a yard of each. It's the perfect width for the pocket)
Pellon Peltex 72F Double-Sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer (my new favorite thing)

I made mine to fit an Iphone in an otterbox, so your dimensions may differ from mine. Here we go:
Cut two of backing fabric and one of stabilizer to 7x4 inches
Cut front fabric to 5x4 1/2 inches for the pocket (I cut mine on the selvage so turn 5 into 5 1/2 if you will need to hem for a clean edge)


Fuse backing fabric to front and back of stabilizer according to the directions that come with the stabilizer. Here's a silly video of what you'll end up with:

YouTube Video


Now, line up one side of the pocket fabric with one side of the backing. The 5 inch side will run vertical. I cut my fabric so the selvage edge is on top. If you have an unfinished edge, sew a hem on that end of the fabric, then line up your pieces.

Pick a zigzag you like, I like mine wide with the stitches close together. Sew down this side.






Line the other side of the pocket fabric up with the backing. There will be excess fabric in the middle, but you want that. It will end up being a pocket. See where I'm going with this? Now sew down that side!

Fold the excess fabric back evenly at each side to make a tuck. Pin in place.

Sew across the bottom and the top


Now is time to cut out a 1 3/8 inch square. Measure 1/4 inch from the top and 1 1/4 inch from each side. It would be more accurate to make a template and trace the square onto your fabric. Now, as Joey on Full House would say, CUT IT OUT!



Zig Zag around that sucker



You can make this for less than $3. It's easy, doesn't take long and is super cute! Plus, you will fall in love with such a sturdy stabilizer and will dream about other projects to make with it.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment